- In 2021, sensible, self-healing expertise in Florida helped keep away from almost 250,000 prolonged buyer energy outages, saving virtually 17 million minutes of buyer interruptions.
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla., July 1, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — As Florida heads into one other month of hurricane season and afternoon thunderstorms change into extra widespread, Duke Power Florida’s sensible, self-healing expertise continues to learn prospects throughout energy outages.
Very like a GPS can reroute site visitors throughout an accident, self-healing expertise can mechanically detect energy outages and shortly reroute energy to revive service sooner or keep away from the outage altogether.
Final 12 months, this expertise helped keep away from almost 250,000 prolonged buyer energy outages in Florida, saving virtually 17 million minutes of complete misplaced outage time.
“We’re working onerous to ship electrical energy that’s dependable, more and more clear and safer,” stated Duke Power Florida state president Melissa Seixas. “We all know that storms are rising in frequency and depth, so it is vital that we take steps right this moment to guard the grid from the impacts of extreme climate and enhance reliability for all our prospects.”
Presently, 53% of Duke Power Florida prospects are served by some type of self-healing or automated restoration expertise, a 14% enhance as in comparison with 2020.
Over time, self-healing expertise has supplied great profit to Florida prospects throughout instances when Duke Power skilled main outages on its system as a result of extreme climate.
- Tropical Storm Collin – June 2016. Greater than 11,000 prolonged buyer energy outages prevented, saving over 2 million minutes of buyer interruptions.
- Hurricane Hermine – September 2016. Greater than 27,000 prolonged buyer energy outages prevented, saving over 3 million minutes of buyer interruptions.
- Hurricane Matthew – October 2016. Greater than 1,000 prolonged buyer energy outages prevented, saving over 159,000 minutes of buyer interruptions.
- Hurricane Irma – September 2017. Greater than 12,000 prolonged buyer energy outages prevented, saving over 5 million minutes of buyer interruptions.
- Hurricane Michael – October 2018. Greater than 10,000 prolonged buyer energy outages prevented, saving over 1.8 million minutes of buyer interruptions.
- Hurricane Eta – November 2020. Greater than 13,000 prolonged buyer energy outages prevented, saving over 1.7 million minutes of buyer interruptions.
- Tropical Storm Fred – August 2021. Greater than 5,000 prolonged buyer energy outages prevented, saving over 1.2 million minutes of buyer interruptions.
In lower than 10 years, Duke Power Florida expects to have 80% of its prospects served by some type of self-healing expertise. Click on right here to view Duke Power Florida’s 2021 self-healing expertise knowledge by county.
Moreover, Duke Power has lowered the typical period of time a buyer experiences an outage by roughly 20% during the last 5 years, in line with the System Common Interruption Length Index (SAIDI), which signifies the period of time the typical buyer experiences a sustained outage.
Over the subsequent 10 years, Duke Power Florida will proceed to make strategic investments in strengthening its infrastructure, lowering outage instances related to excessive climate occasions, lowering restoration prices and bettering total service reliability.
Self-healing expertise video.
Self-healing grid system animation video.
Duke Power Florida
Duke Power Florida, a subsidiary of Duke Power, owns 10,300 megawatts of vitality capability, supplying electrical energy to 1.9 million residential, business and industrial prospects throughout a 13,000-square-mile service space in Florida.
Duke Power (NYSE: DUK), a Fortune 150 firm headquartered in Charlotte, N.C., is certainly one of America’s largest vitality holding firms. Its electrical utilities serve 8.2 million prospects in North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky, and collectively personal 50,000 megawatts of vitality capability. Its pure fuel unit serves 1.6 million prospects in North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Ohio and Kentucky. The corporate employs 28,000 individuals.
Duke Power is executing an aggressive clear vitality transition to attain its targets of net-zero methane emissions from its pure fuel enterprise and not less than a 50% carbon discount from electrical technology by 2030 and net-zero carbon emissions by 2050. The 2050 net-zero targets additionally embody Scope 2 and sure Scope 3 emissions. As well as, the corporate is investing in main electrical grid enhancements and vitality storage, and exploring zero-emission energy technology applied sciences comparable to hydrogen and superior nuclear.
Duke Power was named to Fortune’s 2022 “World’s Most Admired Firms” checklist and Forbes’ “America’s Greatest Employers” checklist. Extra info is accessible at duke-energy.com. The Duke Power Information Middle incorporates information releases, reality sheets, images and movies. Duke Power’s illumination options tales about individuals, improvements, neighborhood subjects and environmental points. Comply with Duke Power on Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and Fb.
Media contact: Audrey Stasko
Media line: 800.559.3853
View authentic content material to obtain multimedia:https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/duke-energy-floridas-innovative-technology-reduces-outages-and-saves-customers-millions-of-minutes-of-interruptions-301579742.html
SOURCE Duke Power